As the saying goes, “prevention is always better than cure”
Breastfeeding moms can take these steps to lower their chances of getting mastitis:
- Air out your nipples after nursing.
- Don’t wear nursing pads or tight- fitting bras that keep nipples moist.
- Nurse your baby on one side, allowing the breast to empty, before switching to the other breast.
- Switch up breastfeeding positions to fully empty all areas of the breast.
- Use your finger to break your baby’s suction on a nipple if you need to stop a feeding.
Be sure to get treatment for mastitis. Delaying treatment can lead to a breast abscess, which can be harder to treat.
“Don’t let mastitis ruin your breastfeeding journey.”